Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Importance of Time

    For a lot of you, summer is a time to just do whatever you want. Which is usually nothing. For my family, the summer is a time of work, much more so than the other seasons, and there are certain members of my family who prefer winter to summer for just that reason.
    For me, this summer is going to be the last with some of my friends before they go to college. I want to make the most of the time I have left with them, because after this, there won't really be any time when we're just kids anymore. I'm really excited to grow up, and there are some things that I wish I could do now that I have to be older to do, but...more than that, even, I wish I could rewind my life and do the things I did three years ago again, but this time being more aware. I want to be able to remember the good times that I've had and will have with my friends. I don't want to waste the time that I have, because I'm never going to get it back. That's a pretty hard truth that I have to accept.
    It's a pretty hard truth that we all have to accept, one time or another, but most of us put off to deal with. Which is pretty sad, because we never get it back again. We'll never have a chance to re-do the things we messed up, or re-live the moments that we'll remember till we're eighty.
    We need to realize the importance of time. That's something that our culture doesn't seem familiar with any more: importance. Nothing matters. I don't need to worry about it; it's not important. Which, in most cases, is the farthest thing from the truth.
    Time matters so much because it's something that God gives us. I know, God gives us everything. But listen to me. Time is important because if we use it wisely, God will commend us for the good deeds we'll have done, the people we'll have comforted, and the Christ himself we'll have taken in and clothed. It's God's way of saying, "I'm giving you a way to try to make it up to me, what you did to my Son." We'll never be able to make it up; it's impossible. But God is giving us a chance to try. "Do that," He says, "and you'll be doing the very thing my Son asks in return for His sacrifice." There's so much to be done; so little time to do it in. We'll never be able to do everything.
    At the end of the summer, I'm going to look back and say, "I wish I could have done that," but a least I'll have done what I could. I'll have tried. I will have memories that I'll remember when I'm eighty, memories I'll tell my kids and grandkids about. I'll try to instill in them the importance of time. But I can't do that to the best of my ability until I learn it myself.
    Will you try to learn the importance of time? This summer, will you turn off the video games, the computer, and get outside with your friends? Play baseball, watch fireworks, get wet, have fun with other people! Slow down. Time goes by too fast. I'm going to make this a summer to remember.Will you?

In Christ,

Em xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment